Back in June 2020, aurora issued a statement in full support of the Black Lives Matter movement as we felt that we could not be truthful to our manifesto of celebrating diverse and underrepresented voices unless we stood with our African-American and BIPOC community. Now we believe that we must offer the same solidarity to the Asian-American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community in stopping AAPI hate. We at aurora condemn the rise of anti-Asian sentiment, hate speech, and violent attacks towards the AAPI community especially in the backdrop of the pandemic. As an Asian American woman of Chinese descent, I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Soon Chung Park, Suncha Kim, Yong Ae Yue, Hyun Jung Grant, Xiaojie Tan, Delaina Yaun, Daoyao Feng, and Paul Andre Michels in the Atlanta shooting, among many other victims of anti-Asian hate crimes. In the light of these events, aurora is dedicated to supporting the AAPI community in speaking against anti-Asian racism, providing resources that illuminate AAPI voices, and continuing to cultivate our own platform and journal as a creative space for underrepresented voices to be heard. We hope that you will stand with us in our fight for justice and a brighter, safer future.
At aurora, we are also taking the time to learn, listen, and support AAPI voices and happily encourage you to do the same. Thus, in this space, we would like to share with you some resources that will allow you to educate yourself and also directly support the #StopAsianHate movement.
- Here is a more comprehensive carrd containing educational resources, news articles, mental health resources, places to donate, and places to report incidents.
- If you are able to do so, consider donating to the fundraisers listed in this resource.
As always, as a literary journal, we would like to feature other literary journals and resources that are dedicated to celebrating Asian voices in publishing.
- Sine Theta Magazine (creative art and literature magazine for the Sino diaspora)
- Lantern Review (Asian American poetry)
- Kartika Review (Asian Pacific Islander American literature)
- Kyoto Journal (Asian cultural and historical insights essays and literature)
- The Margins (Asian American essays and literature)
- Anak Sastra (Southeast Asian literature)
- Kundiman (retreat and writing resources for Asian American writers)